Sunday, May 13, 2018

2018 AWDF

I really suck at this blogging thing. I haven't posted in here since October of last year, yikes!

I felt the urge to write today as I am getting ready to head down to California for the 2018 American Working Dog Federation's National Championship.

I am REALLY freaking nervous.

I've been training really hard but I have a HUGE fear of failing and even though I thought I had enough time to fix some things... it wasn't enough time at all. I don't want to embarrass my club. I don't want to embarrass myself.

Current feels.


I am really worried, as always, about tracking. Tracking has been going okay, but we had a really bad track last week. The tracking at the trial will also be on alfalfa, I had one opportunity to practice on alfalfa and it went okay but it wasn't great. I think if she can make it to her first article it is possible we could pass.

I am also worried about obedience. I'm worried about her being flat, I'm worried she won't do a send out. I think it will go okay, I am hoping she is just correct in all of the exercises even if she's not as animated as most judges prefer.

I feel really good about protection. My club helper Denis put in a ton of work helping me teach Stuck the back transport as well as fine tuning everything else. While he was out of town we also went up to Washington to train with a guy named Kevin who I was able to do run-thrus with. He put some pressure on my dog and also helped problem solve an early take off issue with the escape. We also had a chance to train with a club down in Eugene and their helper Chris did a full run-thru with us and it went well. I have no doubts we will pass protection.

Something someone said the other day really resonated with me, I am not a professional trainer, this is my first 'real' sport dog. I have to keep reminding myself of this. If we fail it isn't because I suck, it's because we aren't professionals at this and this is my very first dog.

Another thing I was reminded of is that the worst thing that can happen is failure, but if we fail it's not like I am going to die. Life goes on.

It's just so hard to not be nervous about everything! I am excited to go out of town and I think the event will be a lot of fun stress aside. I am hoping to meet up with some friends down there and maybe meet some people I haven't met in person.

My hope is to pass our IPO2, that's the big goal.

My small goals for the trial are: Tracking - I hope she doesn't give up if she gets lost. I hope she keeps trying even if stressed. Obedience - I hope she does all three retrieves. Protection - I hope she puts on a good show and outs when I tell her to. Oh and, as for me, I hope I don't forget the OB & protection routines.


No comments:

Post a Comment